If you ever wondered if entrepreneurship is demanding, we now have the data from Maciek to prove it:
“My body and health are taking a toll due to the fast pace at which I'm progressing.”
Check out Maciek’s progress below! (Week #4)
Maciek’s Weekly Update
Netflix for Toys
Where is my 🧠
- First pitch success! Received a call just two days later, serious interest.
- Found a bank, opening an account next week (rejected by 9/10 banks).
- Posted an unusual job offer, and the response has been incredible! High-quality applicants aligned with our values and mission (a relatively small percentage of random applications). Check it out (g-translate).
(Comment: At this stage, I prioritize finding individuals with the right startup-ready mindset, shared values, and a hunger to make a positive impact on society. Skills and tasks come second in importance to me.)
- The deck is not yet ready. I have my first VC pitch on Friday, and unfortunately, I won't be able to complete the full deck or the micro "data room" in time. It's a trade-off I have to make, as I promised them the opportunity to be the first to see it and the date was set long ago.
- My body is taking a toll due to the fast pace at which I'm progressing.
- Today, I spent 6 hours analyzing 5 different legal agreements and had 2 hours of legal calls... Will this ever end?!
- VC pitch is on Friday, and I'm feeling prepared and incredibly excited!
- Finalize convertible loan agreements with angels who already committed.
- Engage in discussions with 3 potential hires who possess 20+ years of experience in the toy market. Their expertise will be invaluable in building a strong toy pipeline and overcoming my limited knowledge in this industry.
- Detox: Once I leave the VC office, I'll close my laptop, switch off my phone, and enjoy a tech-free weekend. It's well-deserved, and I'm looking forward to going trekking #witmaboyzzz :D Yay!
Where is my ❤️
Last weekend, I picked up kids from my in-laws, my mother-in-law asked about the project. My 6-year-old son overheard the conversation and spontaneously asked, 'Daddy, do you have the first customer yet?' It was both amusing and thought-provoking. I couldn't help but respond with a hesitant 'no,' although his question hit the mark. Where is that first customer? I've bypassed the MVP stage entirely and jumped straight into the big leagues. I guess we are soon to see how will that end up!
On another note, I'm not sure if letting my son listen to my calls is a good idea. I might be creating a little monster ;)
Tips to share 🎁
In my job post, I included an instruction to add one sentence about why they are applying. Here are the results:
30% followed the rule and scored a point (I appreciate concise messaging)
30% didn't follow the rule but provided an explanation (sometimes amusing or interesting, but mostly not)
25% simply copied and pasted generic content - not considering those
15% didn't write anything - not considering those either
The tip: Include a filter at the end of your job post to check if they read to the end and gauge candidates in a way important to you. I value succinct communication.
See you next week in your inbox!
Inspired? Time to engage!
Join our community and start working on your business idea:
If you are new here - welcome! My name is Marcin and I believe that anyone can become a successful entrepreneur. I was nudged by two friends in my 20s to start a company, and it changed my life. I now made it my life’s mission to pay it forward and nudge the next generation of entrepreneurs into starting their first business.Netflix